Carlsbad Caverns to Raise Entrance Fee

Devils Den — Natural Entrance Route Carlsbad Cavern.

Devils Den — Natural Entrance Route Carlsbad Cavern. Photo by Peter Jones/NPS

Beginning this summer, Carlsbad Caverns National Park is planning to raise its entrance fee from $6.00 to $10.00 per person aged 15 and up.

Of the funds collected by the park, up to 80 percent of the money collected can be retained by the park, while the remaining 20 percent is pooled for use by national parks that cannot collect entrance fees.

Carlsbad Caverns entrance feeds have been used for a variety of projects to improve visitor enjoyment, health and safety. Some of these important projects, that were not already covered by the park’s budget, include the complete redesign of the visitor center, renovation of underground restrooms, replacement of the elevator motors and other equipment, educational exhibits in the visitor center and a new Carlsbad Caverns visitor orientation video.

The increase will pay for much-needed repairs to failing infrastructure. Many of the park’s buildings are very old, built in the 1930s and ‘40s, and are deteriorating and in desperate need of repair. The increase in fees will help the park fund these projects as well. John Benjamin, Carlsbad Caverns Superintendent

It has been sixteen years since the last increase, which upped the price from $5.00 to $6.00.

The feedback we get from visitors consistently is that they have been surprised that we don’t charge more for entry into this beautiful cavern. John Benjamin, Carlsbad Caverns Superintendent

To make comments on the $4.00 increase, contact the park by emailing [email protected], write to Fee Increase, 3225 National Parks Highway, Carlsbad, NM 88220 or phone 575-785-2232.

Bookmark & Share Comment

Comment

Sorry, comments have been closed.