Month in Review: June 2012’s Must Read News
The beginning of shorter days means that June has come to an end and it’s time to review the top ten most popular news items on Caving News during the month.
This look back gives you a chance to see what other readers found interesting, and to allow you to catch anything you may have missed.
We’re happy to report that this month the top stories were of a much more positive note compared to what amounted to the top 10 caving tragedies last month.
Without further ado, we present the ten most popular articles of caving news that appeared in June 2012, ordered by the number of views.
June’s Top 10 News Items
- Explorers Make Exciting Discoveries in Lechuguilla Cave
A group of 10 cavers from all over the United States recently made some exciting discoveries while on an expedition inside Lechuguilla Cave in New Mexico’s Carlsbad Caverns National Park.
- Croatian Caver Injured After Accident Deep Underground / Caver Rescued From Croatia’s Kita Gaćešina Cave System
An accident at the Kita Gaćešina cave system in Croatia’s Velebit National Park has left a caver injured deep underground.
- French Company Develops Immersive 3D Cave Tours
A French company has been creating 360-degree 3D immersive tours of a number of France’s beautiful caves.
- Dog Survives Weeks After Falling in a Deep Tennessee Cave
A dog was rescued from a deep cave in Tennessee’s Union County recently after it was heard barking by hunters.
- Scientists Making Progress on White-Nose Syndrome
An initial report from the recent annual white-nose syndrome meeting indicates that scientists are making progress into understanding the disease.
- Amazon’s Lost Caves Causing Problems for Proposed Iron Mine
Recent discoveries in caves beneath the Amazon jungle are causing a problem for a planned mining operation.
- Alabama’s Neversink Cave Featured in U.K. Newspaper
The folks at the UK’s Daily Mail newspaper recently featured a piece on Neversink Cave in Jackson County, Alabama.
- How Carabiners are Made
If you’ve ever wondered how a carabiner is made, now is your chance to find out.
- Belgian Cave Diver Dies After Apparent Heart Attack
A Belgian cave diver has died after an apparent heart attack during a dive near Dinant, Belgium.
- Ancient Shark Fossil Discovered in Missouri’s Smallin Cave
A fossil found in a Missouri cave has been identified to belong to a long extinct type of shark.