Ask Cavers: What are your 2013 Caving Goals?

January 2, 2013
Stay on Target!

Stay on Target! Photo by comedynose/flickr

Now that 2013 has arrived, it is the perfect time to reflect and think about the goals we want to achieve over the next 12 months.

So cavers, what are your caving goals for 2013? Do you you want to get past a particularly tight squeeze, give a more concerted effort to a particular dig, or just get underground more often?

Let us know in the comments below.

Last Week’s Ask Cavers Results

Although we didn’t get much feedback to last week’s question, how can we improve Caving News in 2013, the overall impression was that we should continue what we’ve been doing so far. Despite that, we do have some improvements in the pipes that we’re working on implementing in the next few months.

If anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions, give us a shout, we’re always happy to listen.

1. Alfred Crabtree
    January 2, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I would like a mile of virgin passage.

January 2, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Only a mile? 🙂

• David
        January 3, 2013 at 11:23 am

Alfred is generously leaving the tighter leads for you and me.

• alfred crabtree
        February 27, 2013 at 11:48 pm

1000 feet already.. we consider virgin to be shared amongst those on the initial push of a passage; i.e: three of us walked together through virgin stream passage, so to those of us who would care to count, we all would be worthy of it. What are your parameters? Can only one person get virgin? To me, I have to traverse the passage the first time it is passed, regardless of the order of the group. IF another team saw something else in another passage and I visited it later, even on the same trip, I would not count it.

2. Phil Goldman
    January 3, 2013 at 7:53 am

I’d like to get my two teenage kids on rope. They do a lot of horizontal caving with me and I think that would just enhance the time we spend together.

• David
      January 3, 2013 at 11:22 am

Phil, That’s a great goal. I just took my 11 year old on his first vertical trip. His two sisters have already gone on vertical trips. It is something that overcomes the teens’ perspective that whatever Dad does is inherently uncool and embarrassing. They have no shame bragging to their friends about the previous weekend spent with their dad instead of texting each-other or watching videos.

I recommend you bring them to a grotto vertical practice. Teaching them to rappel is a bit like teaching them to drive. It is more nerve racking and stressful when the parent is doing the teaching. I can “force” patience working with other people’s kids more easily than with my own. I’ve taught a friend’s kids to rappel for the first time (that first time step over the lip is always the toughest part for everyone) while he worked with my kids.

• Phil Goldman
        January 4, 2013 at 9:02 am

Actually, my kids already know how to rappel on a Stop, just need to teach how to use a rack. I have not yet taught them how to ascend, which is next. I know a lot of folks hate the Stop, and I understand all their reasons, but it’s hard for me to picture a safer device for a 1st time rappeller.

I know what you mean about the coolness factor, but that cuts both ways. Many parents of my kids friends marvel at how my teenagers want to, and often do, spend time with me. All the better, it’s underground have fantastic adventures together and creating shared memories. I’m 100% certain my grandkids (someday) will be cavers!!!!

3. Digger
    January 4, 2013 at 11:25 am

My plan for 2013 is to go ridge walking, find and dig open as many
    new caves as I possibly can.

January 4, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Be sure to keep us informed of your progress.

4. Herman Miller
    January 9, 2013 at 2:06 am

My goals are simply to get underground as much as possible, go to every caving event possible, and simply find the next mega cave ;).

January 9, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Spoken like a true caver.

5. February 4, 2013 at 2:54 pm

To go Harder, Faster, Deeper, Wetter, Tighter than before!!

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
    (or at least to “collect” as many of the Mendip oddities as possible!)

6. J
    May 10, 2013 at 8:50 am

Find new caves to replace all the ones that are now closed.