Ask Cavers: Where do you buy your caving gear?

September 12, 2012
Shopping Cart

Photo by Trevor Blake/flickr

Caving is kind of an obscure past time, and as such it’s not always the easiest to find stores that sell the appropriate gear.

Although there are a few brick and mortar stores that exist, they are generally in locations with an extremely high number of cave/cavers. For the rest of the world, most folks must resort to buying things online or via mail order.

This week we ask cavers, where do you buy your caving gear?

Please share your favorite shops, either real or virtual, in the comments section below.

1. September 12, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I find a lot of good stuff @ MOOSEJAW, but if you really want some great things that r safe and true tested check out your local higherise window washing supply company.

2. Yiorgos
    September 12, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I buy my caving gear from Starless river mobile shop!

3. Andy
    September 13, 2012 at 1:40 am

Starless River too, never Inglethief!

4. Caveman Bob
    September 13, 2012 at 7:31 am

Form my modest needs: It is Bob & Bob

5. Steve
    September 13, 2012 at 8:08 am

Bob & Bob Caver Supply

6. Mudman
    September 13, 2012 at 8:18 am

It depends on what one calls caving gear. For soft goods the best place is an Army/Navy Store as most military packs and clothing stands up to hard core caving. Same with boots, the least expensive are some of the best as crawling will ruin an expensive pair of boots in just a few trips. As to hard ware, Bob & Bob has been a good source and a friend to cavers. Many tmes he is lower in price that eveyone else.

7. DC
    September 13, 2012 at 8:22 am

You can’t go wrong with IMO (Inner Mountain Outfitters)!

8. September 13, 2012 at 9:22 am

Most of my caving-specific gear comes from Karst Sports. I also use Amazon.

9. September 13, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I am admittedly (and proudly) prejudiced, but I’ll echo DC in saying you can’t go wrong with InnerMountainOutfitters.com!

10. September 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Inner Mountain Outfitters for hardware, PMI for rope! I am biased since they support the Caves of Montana Project. I loved seeing Bob (and Bob) at the MVORs, but that was before the internet age… which is convenient to mortar-store-lean Montana, but all three of these sites desperately need a website / store cart overhaul. In the meantime, check out IMOs watertight containers – they are awesome! You can sit on them and they will float your bag even when full of supplies!

11. September 16, 2012 at 1:13 pm

What actually BUY new kit???????? not if I can help it!!

If I do buy kit its from whoever is cheapest in the UK!!

12. Francois
    October 17, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I live at Quebec City so it’s difficult to buy some stuff here in Québec. We buy stuff by our club and the take the stuff on http://www.petzl.com/fr/outdoor/activites-techniques/speleo and http://www.expe.fr/index.html.
    Theses are 2 good site to get some stuff.
    If i need some stuff right now, i can go shop to mountain equipement and atmosphere. These are 2 good place to get some outdoor equipement of all kind.