Ask Cavers: What is Your Favorite Cave to Visit?

August 22, 2012
Bronson Caves, also known as the Bat Cave.

Bronson Caves, also known as the Bat Cave. Photo by Horrortaxi/flickr

There are caves all over the world, and cavers from all over the world visit Caving News. We think it would be neat if this week we shared our favorite caves to perhaps learn about some neat ones we’ve never heard of before.

Let us know your favorite cave in the comments below. Whether it be a wild cave or show cave it doesn’t matter, just be sure to tell us what makes it so great.

1. August 22, 2012 at 1:15 pm

ATM Cave in Belize

2. August 22, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Santa Claus cave, in Volcano CA! Hehehe, Santa Claus lives in a volcano.

3. Lee
    August 22, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I am blessed to work in Cova des Pas de Vallgornera, in Mallorca, Spain! It is a truly incredible cave!

4. Graham
    August 23, 2012 at 7:39 am

Swildons, Somerset, UK

5. Caveman Bob
    August 23, 2012 at 10:36 am

Mammoth, without a doubt.

6. Caving News
    August 23, 2012 at 10:39 am

These are great answers, but what makes those caves so great?

7. Peter V Gojcaj
    August 23, 2012 at 10:54 am

Rrethi I Carines, Montenegro , top of mountain you squeeze through a hole and land on a small ledge, from there it drops a couple of hundred feet and continues to China.

8. August 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Have to agree with Graham, Swildon’s Hole, its one of the first caves that I “did” on Mendip, it is also the cave that broke me:

In dry conditions its benign, you’re able to bimble about, looking at lots of different things, going away from the main streamway, digging connections and generally having fun!!
    However once the water levels rise this cave takes no prisoners, it becomes unrelenting – giving you a good physical challenge.
    I went in with a few mates during a high water spell a few months ago, it was EPIC, we had to avoid certain bits because the water was too high, absiel others and at one point we were about 3 inches from being sumped in!
    (oh yeah it cost me a new light, mine got washed off my helmet in one particular narrow section of streamway)

9. Anthony T Ledford
    August 26, 2012 at 12:26 am

Salt peter cave, grassy cove TN. I love this cave because it has multiple levels of endless passage, 8 miles mapped. I got beyond the graffiti ( it took 4 hours or so) and then it was just dust and drop offs!! It’s a total fossil cave! Not much water to speak of. But still beautiful.

10. Anthony T Ledford
    August 26, 2012 at 12:27 am

Im wanting to check out Morrell cave (worleys cave) TN. Lots of water there. (That would be a nice change).

11. August 27, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Swildons Hole, Mendip, UK.

A cave with a dual personalty, in dry conditions benign, in the wet unrelenting!

12. josh geist
    September 10, 2012 at 4:46 pm

My favorite cave would have to be stillhouse cave in elkins west VA it was my first cave and it got me hooked into the caving world

13. March 14, 2013 at 4:50 am

No doubt: Postojna Cave in Slovenia. The only cave with train and so many beautiful stalagmites.