Ask Cavers: Is Your Significant Other a Caver?

March 27, 2013
A Couple of Cavers.

A Couple of Cavers. Photo by delaere/flickr

Does your partner share your love for the underground?

For this weeks Ask Cavers question, we want to know if your significant other is also a caver.

If they’re not, how do they feel about their partner spending all their time inside the bowels of the earth?

Share your thoughts and comments in the discussion below.

1. March 28, 2013 at 6:04 am

Yep. It’s all Jane’s fault. An NSS member (10227) since before I met her, she took a few of us college chums into Vermont’s just-discovered Morris Cave – and the rest, as they say, is history.

2. Phil Goldman
    March 28, 2013 at 7:43 am

Nope, I wish. She’s a caver lover, but not a caver 🙂

3. Yiorgos Gadanakis
    March 28, 2013 at 8:34 am

Nope! and she is not so happy that I spend weekends away from her! I have tried to convince her to join us on the trips and just use her time for a walk but not even that!!

4. March 28, 2013 at 11:38 am

Yup! CaverJules loves the underground! Which I could load a pic with my comment!

5. Stephen Gladieux
    March 28, 2013 at 12:19 pm

My lady is a damned fine caver and I wouldn’t have it any other way! The first 5 times we met were all because of caving, and it is something we still enjoy doing together.

6. March 28, 2013 at 12:25 pm

My first wife resented every second and penny I spent caving, I would have to plan at least 2-3 months ahead in order to get either a day or weekend pass. When we first met we did do an “adventure” session in the Forest of Dean, which she hated, on European holidays she’d grudgingly visit show caves, she was too interested in getting her tits waxed, or her eyelashes fettled!!

The newer model does come out with us, although she fears that she will slow down the “macho’s” – I say fie to that and plan accordingly – we go slowly, taking our time and using the kit that I carry in the “Care in the Community Bag” (She suffers from mild arthritis and isn’t as confident climbing things that I have no problems with) – if anything its bought us closer together, and she does make a bloody good model when I take the camera out with us!!

7. Liana
    March 28, 2013 at 3:01 pm

You bet he is, we actually got into it together although Randy had been to walk-through showcaves like Carlsbad when he was a little gaffer. It’s a good bonding experience as you help each other through tough places (we’ve been married 31 years – so it works!)

8. Mary
    March 28, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Strange story, but I met my cave man because of the band America having a concert. Anyway, I love my cave man and all of his Frederick Grotto friends. I’m not a caver but I do respect nature. I’m especially sad because of the white nose thing happening with the bats. We met and married late (early 40’s) so independence is just as important to me as it is to him. When he was really into caving (before glasses became a part of his daily life), I had no issue if he went as that is who he was before I met him. Just like he doesn’t mind my running an Irish parade (he’s not into Irish music that much) just had our 13th St. Patrick’s Day parade in Gaithersburg MD. We are lucky, our hobbies and our independence works just grand !! 🙂

9. Paul Spiliotis
    March 29, 2013 at 11:00 am

Yes, my wife is a caver, we started caving in 1980,we live in TAG because it was move here or get divorced. She is currently the archive director for the NSS.

10. MJ
    March 29, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Absolutely. He had been caving for years when we met in ’73, and I was new to the adventure. Our mutual love for caving, photography, and books (he was helping publish a state caving magazine at the time, later became editor, and I helped as typist/proofreader) drew us together, and we are still underground. One daughter took to this adventure, and now her daughter seems to like it. So we became a caving family, and although both of us suffer from physical difficulties which make what we do harder, we still get underground as often as we can. I have even started a bucket list for us of places we want to go before we get really too old to continue going underground.

11. March 29, 2013 at 2:59 pm

My significant other is the one who got me into caving. First trip was to Speleofest a year a go and now I am an NSS and COG member. Going on a trip in 2 weeks.

12. March 29, 2013 at 3:17 pm

My girlfriend goes ridge-walking with me, caving with me, and is a member of our grotto…she’s even learning vertical. I don’t think I’ll find another like her. She’s so game to try new things that I have to keep in mind she’s only been at this caving thing for a couple of years now, so sometimes I have to remember her limits.

13. March 29, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I did a quick count of my caving friends and came to the conclusion that I know about a dozen couples who are caving together!

March 29, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Perhaps someone somewhere should be offering caving getaways for couples?

14. Misti
    March 29, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I have been a caver for many years. My hubby on the other hand had never been when we met. I introduced him into caving and he instantly fell in love. We were set to be married outside a cave of one of our fav landowners down in Maryville but it rained terribly that morning and we had to change everything within a few hours. However, that didn’t stop us from going in our full wedding attire (well traded my highheels to wear my caving boots under my dress) to take a few pics in that cave. That’s how we spend our “quality” time together. We take our anniversary off yearly just to spend the day caving with each other. Pretty much live, eat, breathe caving lol. Wouldn’t have it any other way! <3

15. March 30, 2013 at 5:14 am

There is a “caving singles” in the uk, don’t know how well its used.

16. Fred Schumann
    March 30, 2013 at 9:01 am

Yes, we have been caving together since 97′.
    Now we have two young cavers also.

17. Dan Chase
    April 3, 2013 at 12:16 am

Yes, after we got married, Anna was a caver with me in the late 1960’s and early ’70’s. She even did Fantastic pit twice with me using 3 prussik knot system to climb.

18. Rodney Tennyson
    April 7, 2013 at 1:55 pm

My wife, Jeanna and I have caved for the 17 years we have been together, she even knew I was a caver before she asked me out on a date!
    We like to survey and have mapped several 100 caves here in Arkansas over the years.
    She got tired of being the model and instead, has become a very experienced flash slave for me. Woe be to anyone else on the trip, they will be drafted into posing!

19. Carol Zokaites
    April 9, 2013 at 8:19 am

20. patti livery
    April 15, 2013 at 10:51 pm

yes-i have been a caver for 21 years and the one to get my husband into it-he has been a caver for about 6 years now-also my 2 sons and adopted son have for 5 years now-and we all have a blast exploreing caves together.